Did you know that President Kennedy introduced the idea of VISTA to Congress in 1963? Or that many of the best-known anti-poverty programs, including Head Start and Credit Unions, were expanded by VISTA members? VISTA has been on the forefront of ending poverty in America for 50 years.
VISTA (Volunteers In Service To America) was founded in 1965 as a national service program to fight poverty in America.
- Today, more than 46 million Americans live in poverty.
- AmeriCorps VISTA taps the skills, talents and passion of more than 7,000 Americans annually to support community efforts to overcome poverty.
- AmeriCorps VISTA members are passionate and committed to their mission to bring individuals and communities out of poverty
- Members make a year-long, full-time commitment to serve on a specific project at a nonprofit organization or public agency.
Since 2012 United Way of Forsyth County has utilized the passion and skills of AmeriCorps VISTA members to amplify our efforts in the community. Past VISTA accomplishments have included:
Our current VISTA multi-year project — Focus Forsyth: Building Capacity and Effective Solutions to End Poverty primary objective is to increase the capacity of United Way of Forsyth County and its partners to implement the types of effective long-term solutions necessary to ensure economically disadvantaged individuals, families and children can thrive. This project reflects the AmeriCorps VISTA’s core principles with its strong focus on community empowerment, sustainable solutions, and capacity building, all in the service on eradicating poverty in our community.
Meet our current VISTAs:
- Brianna Lowery- Housing Strategies Development Specialist
- Alexander Batson –The Forsyth Promise Data & Research Specialist
- Christina Spence – The Forsyth Promise Community Engagement & Education Specialist
- Jordan Thomas- Community Based Initiative Specialist
By serving with AmeriCorps VISTA, individuals can make a tangible difference, and they find the fulfillment that comes from using your knowledge and skills to help those in disadvantaged circumstances turn their dreams into reality.